Monday 4 July 2011

Wot I Did on My Summer Holidays, by Louis XIV, Age 373 (2011 Reprise), Part 2; or, the Secondhand Bookshops of Chichester, London, Tunbridge Wells and Broadstairs

Aaaand I'm back. Again. Apologies for the longer-than-intended break from blogging, but I realised at the end of the first week of my holidays that I needed to take a bit more time away from the blog in order to properly relax and recuperate, even though I was back online (well – on and off). And now that the holiday is over, I can't promise there'll be daily posts again, either; I'd rather not be tied to a daily schedule on Existential Ennui, chiefly because I suspect I was starting to run myself a bit ragged – what with blogging, holding down a full-time job in publishing, plus all the other mundane bits and bobs that life has a tendency to throw in one's way – but also because there's something else brewing on the blogging front which, if it all pans out, will mean I simply won't have the time to post on here every day. (Don't worry, it's a good "something".) More on that anon.

Anyway, to ease myself back into the swing of things, having posted a visual essay of my time away in Devon a week ago, I thought I'd follow up with another pictorial essay-cum situationist internet installation (ahem), this time detailing the south east England leg of the holiday – and once again you'll quickly spot the overarching theme. (I'll probably follow up with a more general post on some of the bookshops and the books wot I done bought in them sometime over the next day or so.) As before, all pictures were taken by the long-suffering, fragrant Rachel, except the two crappy ones at the end, which were of course taken by yours truly. Enjoy.

Chichester, West Sussex


London, St. Pancras


London, Charing Cross Road / Cecil Court


London, South Bank


Tunbridge Wells, Kent


Broadstairs, Kent


The Further Ill-Gotten Gains

4 comments:

  1. Such neglect of the paperback book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the writer of a food blog, I'm completely with you on the "pressure" of writing a post every day. After a year or so, you start to run out of ideas; the blog can almost become a chore.

    Having said that, as a manic book collector (very similar tastes, by the way- Greene, Ripley and Patricia Highsmith, Geoffrey Household, Fleming et al) your blog is terrific reading; packed full of ideas for fellow collectors- so please keep it up...There are probably more addicted readers out there than you realise.

    Have you ever had a look at Patrick Hamilton?: "Rope", "Gas Light", "The West Pier", "Hangover Square", "Slaves of Solitude". First editions in hardback with dust wrappers are pricey, but early paperbacks or second printings might be worth having a shot at.

    Best wishes

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, Luke. I've not run out of ideas – I've got so many books to blog about it's ridiculous – so much as run out of steam! Or rather, I just couldn't keep going at the pace I was, particularly as most of the posts were pretty lengthy. So I figure I'll keep writing those longer posts, just not as frequently as I was. But it's nice to hear my efforts are appreciated!

    I like the look of your blog, by the way. Can't beat a good Greasy Spoon...

    Olman, fear not: I might not have bought any paperbacks on me hols, but paperbacks will feature very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all...Did you see the recipe for "Tom Ripley's Venetian Lemon Chicken"?

    ReplyDelete